Saturday, January 28, 2017

Carrying On

 The Mister and I scoured the area for postcards on Monday. I couldn't find any that represented the beach town I live in but a trip to the boardwalk during a fierce Nor'easter yielded these so-so ones from a neighboring town.



I was searching for the cards so I could continue with the cause we took up this time last week. Their website is hosting 10 actions for 100 days and the first action is to send cards off to your elected officials reminding them that we are still here. You can print their cards but I wanted mine to show my concern over the state of the Bay.



When I moved here, 20 plus years ago, warm weather meant a stinkfest of slimy water. Our seafood industry was in decline as nothing was living in that dank water. I wouldn't even put my feet in it. It was that nasty. The TMDL environmental legislation set it right so now that the Bay and its industry is on the mend, I'd like it to stay that way.



I got my cards written and mailed off but the Governor (a Republican governor in a Democratic state!) actually thanked me first in a nice little email that caught me by surprise. I am sure it was mass produced but there was my name right on it so it tickled me all the same.



I'm a great complainer but I don't have much to complain about when it comes to the direction Maryland wants to go in this big crazy world.  If I had to be planted, this was a good place to bloom. I know this because I keep track of things by using this app that tracks the votes of my reps. Somehow in all this hoopla the idea that our elected officials (executive branch included) work for us has gotten lost. Hold'em accountable.


Last but not least don't forget to keep donating. Instead of just hitting the like button on an issue, hit that donate button. Every little bit helps.

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard of that app. It's on my phone now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to write our reps-whether with a nudge to keep their word or with a thank you for a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very depressed after this week. It has been atrocious for our country and the world. I can't bear to read blogs about flowers and completely ridiculous things considering the state we are in. I am writing, signing petitions and donating.

    ReplyDelete