Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Pi$$ing and Moaning

Hot. Hot. Hot. We've been in a long run of 90 degree plus days since mid July and I am completely losing it. It's been so muggy and buggy that cabin fever has definitely set in. I've got nothing to post about because I'm useless in this weather.


This is the time of year I curse my ancestors. Pretty much everyone came from around here at one time or another.

On the night I wrote this post it was 54 degrees there.  I can't even remember what 54 degrees feels like.


Whenever I open the front door I feel like Frodo walking into Mordor. I'm in dire need of some cool air to breathe that's not coming from the stale AC which by the way keeps flooding the basement because of the ridiculously high humidity. The rainforest is enjoying lower humidity than we are right now.



I'm sure my ancestors had a good enough reason to get on that boat and come over here but maybe if they saw this they would have given it a second thought. Last year we had 38 days in the 90's or above.


This year they are predicting possibly 46. The last six years have produced the hottest summers on record. I can't bear it. I've lost the will to live. They say it might only be the 80's for the next two days. I'll believe it when I see it. Even when they say it's cooler it never really feels it.




And then there is this guy. I am covered with bites. I can't keep the buggers out of the house. It's just a matter of time before I get Zika. I might as well volunteer as a guinea pig because there isn't a mosquito that can resist me.



I do realize that it was only 6 months ago that I was writing pretty much the same post about how much I was hating on the cold. I'll most likely be writing about that darn Polar Vortex again 6 months from now. Polar Vortex. Heat Dome. We do go to extremes these days.







14 comments:

  1. How I understand you! The same here. In addition, I cought cold. Being sick when it's hot is a terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are miserable. The extremes used to bother me until we moved here and have central air-what a miracle. It can be the planet Mercury outdoors and we are temperate or it can dip into planet Pluto and we are still good. If you have a spare $5-6,000 you need to upgrade!!! lol (I'm flying to Syr, NY tomorrow-I will try to grab that dome and tweak it away from your corner to give you some relief!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot and humid makes me incredibly stabby. And I'm relatively stabby to begin with, even on my best days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same weather here but for some reason we don't have the bugs and I'm so grateful for that. We don't get that Vortex thing either which is great. I moved here to thaw out and I've definately accomplished that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my sympathy. I lived in Annapolis for 18 months and the heat/humidity was beyond belief. Do whatever it takes to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder where we could live where the weather extremes are less severe? In the USA of course.
    Hmmmm. I'm still making wool stockings in the heat and humidity.....a bit crazy, well you knew that already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii? My friend just came back and said it was gorgeous.

      Delete
  7. My daughter keeps telling me the same thing. I think they go from one air conditioned place to another. We had several upper 90 days in a row and now it's the 80's. Our saving grace is very low humidity. I grew up in the Midwest where it was always humid and hot in the summer so I greatly appreciate our mountain/desert summers. Now the winters, that's another thing. Foot upon foot of snow that never wants to leave, although the past few haven't been bad at all.
    Another similarity we share is that I attract mosquitos like crazy. My husband would rarely get bitten and I looked like I had the measles. Another good thing is up here we very rarely see mosquitos. I love Spokane! Here's hoping you have relief soon.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's rainy and chilly here! We did have a gorgeous weekend though. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must have blood type O.... I've heard that mosquitos prefer type 0's. No Zika where you live yet! Eat more garlic... might help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um you are allowed to piss and moan away with heat and humidity like that for a DURATION like that! Sheesh! I am sending you and your section of the nation some cool vibes. You need to spend a July in SF. It's fog city. I like to use the Mordor to describe various things. For example Long hikes in exposed sun. the barely visible path of exposed floor to my son's bedroom ... ;) And mosquitoes to boot. I'm SO sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had to pop in and tell you that I just finished face-timing with my daughter who lives in Edgewater, MD. She reads your blog now too, and told me she laughed out loud when she read your comment about opening your door and feeling you were in Mordor. And the polar vortex in 6 months. She said "YES"! That's EXACTLY how I feel. So thank you for making her laugh and knowing how she feels about your weather...although she said it's much better today.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edgewater is right up the Bay! Small world. It is better today but I don't consider it a good day unless I can open the windows. We're still not there yet. It's too muggy. :(

      Delete
  12. Ugh - I'm right there with you sister! Minus the mosquitos, but that's only because we've barely had an rain for months. I only go outside first thing in the morning or after 6 pm. And even then there's no guarantee I won't melt!

    ReplyDelete