Friday, July 29, 2016

Done and No Fun


My MDSW Miss Babs socks are done. Yay. Me. After the Tour I needed something mindless to get back into the knitting thing and these were it.



It is a very interesting colorway. I would have never thought about putting those particular colors together but they work. I really like that pink and lavender stripe in the middle of all that green chaos.



 When I was done I had to laugh at myself because the whole time I was standing in that ridiculously long line waiting to pay for the yarn I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be enough for a pair of socks. It was such a tiny skein and the label didn't give me what I usually go by. I asked people in line and they assured me it would be okay but I wasn't sure.  Look at that. Some to spare. I could have made them even longer. Oh, well. I'll know next year.


I'm down to one pair of socks on the needles now but I only work on these while I am visiting Daddio. I hate working the double strand but he likes to hold the yarn for me and keep it straight while we visit. Little things like that are all we have left and those are on his good days. Man, I hate this. As sorry as I feel for myself sometimes, I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be on the other side of this nightmare.

9 comments:

  1. :-( I can't imagine how hard it is. But, I love that he enjoys keeping your yarn untangled. That is SO sweet.

    Your Miss Babs is beautiful. Reminds me of a flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me sad...not the socks..those are very nice but the situation with your Dad. It's good that you can still sit and knit with him though. I so loved seeing all the beautiful quilts that you two used to work on together. He had such a talent for putting colors together. It was a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your socks are gorgeous! So sorry about your Dad...glad you can still have some good days with him though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so sweet of you to knit in a way that makes your dad happy. The whole dementia thing is a nightmare for everyone involved. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah, Your dad holding the yarn is such a powerful image for me. I feel guilty thinking about my mom laying in the nursing home bed or worse forced into that damn chair. How can I delight in life when she is broken? She wouldnt want me to break too, but you know ....I just feel sad and guilty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Sadness and guilt is a deadly cocktail.

      Delete
    2. Great socks-I love the MDSW colorway-way different than I expected!
      Thank you that you have the patience with your Dad to let him hold the yarn and help you...it must be wonderful for him to share in something so rhythmic and soothing. I know it is so hard on both of you right now. Take heart in these little moments.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful socks. I finally finished my Monkey socks yesterday after leaving them languishing on the needles way too long. I love that your Dad likes to help with the yarn. I would do anything to still have my Dad here to share in the little things. He's been gone for years now. My Mom passed 27 years ago. It still doesn't seem possible. Enjoy each moment you have when your can, even with the sadness involved.
    Blessings always,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs to you and your sweet dad! Love the new socks and glad the others are progressing with your dad's help.

    ReplyDelete