Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mitten Mayhem


 My little sister saw these mittens walk into the opening ceremony last Friday and sent me an email and a message on Facebook about them. I think she was hinting around that she wanted a pair.


 I know she reads this blog but she must have forgotten about the many posts I have written on the subject of my lack of skill in the stranded mitten department. These have just received the death sentence. I am so over them and their crappy tension issues.


Nonetheless, I was intrigued. I love a challenge and I already had this on the shelf collecting dust. Plus I had a ton of fingering weight leftover from the Lillehammer.


 In an hour or so I had this much to show for my efforts and even I have to say they're not too shabby considering how terrible I am at this.


The next morning, while watching Canada's victory over our women's hockey team, I managed to get even more done without pulling my hair out and wanting to jump off a bridge. They are not going to be an exact match but I think this pattern is even prettier than the Slovakian team's. They won't be finished by the end of this year's Olympics but I am pretty sure they will be done by the time the cauldron is lit in Pyeongchang. That's in South Korea and that's where the action will be in 2018.






4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you gave it another try! These are going to be amazing! If you notice the bad mittens have an abrupt change from allover patterning to stripes....that is notorious for a gauge-changer! This pattern will keep a consistent patterning so you will be successful! You will have them done sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom has that book - it's got some beautiful work in it!
    I'm not great at stranded mittens either, but I'm getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWZA. you are going for the GOLD with that pattern. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very pretty pattern and you're doing a great job. I've made one stranded mitt and never started the mate. Yours makes me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete