Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fear Factor

My normal level of anxiety is usually through the roof but for the past few days it has been off the charts.

It wasn't that long ago that we spent an unholy night huddled in the basement closet with a menagerie of animals waiting out Hurricane Irene. We were fortunate to only suffer superficial damages to the yard but many of our neighbors had houses completely squashed flat.

We live in a valley near the Chesapeake Bay that is a forest of very tall and very old trees. Why, I'm not sure and with each passing storm, I wonder all over again, why we didn't see the danger years ago.

We love the trees in the summer but in the 20 years we have been here, they have grown past the point where we are comfortable living in their shade. That is our 10 foot shed behind them looking like a dog house. That is how big they are.

They are so thick, I can no longer get my arms around them. They are huge.

Yesterday we went to Pet Smart and bought a cat carrier for each house kitty and we are packing up and heading out. Exactly where I'm not sure. We are trying to figure out the best way to protect the outside kitties and it is breaking my heart to have to leave them behind. They weathered Irene without a problem but for some reason I have a bad feeling about Sandy.

3 comments:

  1. oh Dear! I was thinking of you when I saw the weather report! My son is in DC and I'm more than a little nervous for him as well! STUPID STORMS!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you. Hope that Sandy will loose enough power and be no threat to you and your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear now I will worry til I hear you're back home and all is well. be safe!

    ReplyDelete