Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fun With Fruitcake



It was doing this outside. It certainly isn't beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here.



So it seemed like a good idea to make a mess in the kitchen. Thanksgiving is the time for making fruitcake, but I was behind schedule.



I love fruitcake. I really do. If it didn't have a million calories in it, I would eat it all year.



I make tiny loaves and tiny sample bites. It's not what you eat but how much. Yeah, right.



They bake for hours on 275. It fills the house with fruitcakey goodness all day.



When they are all safely out of the pans, it's time for celebrating. One year they all stuck and fell apart. I ate them anyway.



When they are cool enough to handle, they get a bath in Karo Syrup and brandy. They then are well wrapped and put away until Christmas.



The samples get sampled right away with a cup of my favorite tea so I can judge the quality of the year's cakes. This year is going to be a good one.

2 comments: