Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In a Pickle



There hasn't been a lot of crafty things going on around here lately. All of a sudden the garden has started producing cucumbers and other stuff like crazy so I've been playing the farmer's wife.



We have been able to eat the squash and eggplants but I had to figure out something to do with all the cucumbers. Making pickles seemed to make sense. I cut them up with some onions and salted them. Then I let them sit while I watched a movie (took a nap).



After rinsing and draining several times, I brought them to a boil with vinegar, sugar and some pickling spices.



I nibbled on them throughout the process. They were really good.



I didn't have anything to put them in so they sat in my expensive french dough bowl overnight in the fridge.



I picked up some half pint canning jars at Walmart and divided the fresh pickles among them. I am keeping them in the fridge so I didn't process them any further because they are so ridiculously good that I can see they won't last long.

4 comments:

  1. Y'know, cucumbers are really good sliced up and dunked in some vinegar with some pepper and salt. All the deliciousness of pickles with none of the waiting. If you throw in some tomatoes you get basically the best salad ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm....yes it is. Tomatoes, onions and cucumbers all thinly sliced with a splash of white vinegar is my all time favorite. Pre-ulcers I used to drink the vinegar dressing left in the bottom of the bowl, it was that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy - when I was a kid our garden always had cucumbers for pickling - we still make jam but no time for pickles too - I do miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope one of those jars has my name on it. I'm going to have to stop off at the store tomorrow for some tomatoes (mine haven't done so well this year) and have that salad - it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete