Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April (?) Spin Along Part 2



Better late than never. I finally got those Merino locks to dry for the Yarnspinner's Tales April Spin Along.



The second washing produced something that could easily be spun from the lock. I didn't have to comb or flick them open, just remove a few outer layers of fuzzy stuff and then pull apart the fiber just enough to let it draft easily.




Before I knew it, the lock was gone. What a difference a clean lock makes. And to think I spent almost a year struggling with the sticky locks while thinking it was my spinning and not the locks that were to blame. Thank you, Yarnspinner!



I also finished up the singles from the March Spin Along. By studying the way singles behave in different circumstances, I learned a lot about producing a strong, balanced 1 ply. This little Shetland skein is far from perfect but I do seem to be heading in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. People complain left right and centre about the time spent in preparation - but they don't get quite how important it is, and also how much it adds to the pleasure.

    Love the crimp in your fibre... and love the outcome...
    hugs Shani

    ReplyDelete