Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!


While I'm off fighting with my family over whether we should order Chinese or go ice skating today, I thought I would share some of my favorite holiday memories-the ones involving a handmade horror that is worth its weight in gold. Growing up, we had a solid paper mache ornament that was the size of a grapefruit on a string that we called the "clunker ball". It was made in school by my sister and weighed so much it would pull over all but the sturdiest Christmas tree. Each year we laughed at it as we pulled it out of the ornament box along with the glittery egg carton bells and milk carton candles that we iced with Ivory Flakes. Finding new ways to display that giant tempera coated softball, without causing anyone bodily harm, was a favorite activity.
Fast forward 30 years and for my family it is the soda bottle Santa with the scotch taped beard. He has been sitting on top of the fridge each Christmas since goodness knows when. He seems to have lost his nose. I don't even remember who made it. If you know, send me a comment so I can give credit where it is due.
Happy holidays!

2 comments: