Sunday, September 27, 2009

Eureka?











This tangled mess is what happened after I started listening to people who know how to spin lace weight yarn. Everyone has been so kind in helping me work through my issues with learning to spin thin. Fear and laziness seem to be the two things that were holding me back: fear of spinning really, really thin and plying really, really tight and being too lazy to make samples before just jumping into large projects without having any real control over the materials. It seems that a tangled mess is what you are looking for in order to have enough twist. Who knew? You can see the difference in what I thought was lace weight and what is getting closer than I thought was possible.











My little sample skein dried so nice and straight and thin just like everyone said it would. I am going to knit up a little sample with it as soon as I find it. It seems to have gotten lost in all the September fiber frenzy. I am sure it is here somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for lace-weight!

    Then again, I'm totally an addict for spinning lace-weight yarn. I have the worst time spinning thicker. That's all to the good I suppose, because I mostly knit socks and shawls lately!

    Of course that could be a chicken-and-the-egg sort of problem. Hmm.

    Lovely spinning and congrats on getting thinner!

    ReplyDelete