Saturday, January 24, 2009

My First Stripes






I was finally brave enough to try weaving in some stripes using two shuttles. Using what I know about Fair Isle knitting, I thought I could just wrap the ends around each other to avoid cutting the yarn. However, I used such a large repeat pattern that you can see the wrap very clearly on one end and it is not very attractive. It gives one edge a very unbalanced, messy look. After doing some research, I now know NOT to use this technique if your repeat is more than a half of an inch in length. Unweaving is much faster than unknitting but I am going to continue on with this one in spite of its obvious flaws. Since I already have a huge pile of really ugly handwoven scarves what's one more? Maybe I will sew them all together and make some kind of crazy quilt throw. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment