Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Knitting My Own Sock Blank

As if knitting up the ready made blank I bought was not enough, I am now working on creating my own blank. I bought a skein of Knit Picks Bare and wound it into two balls then knit it together into a tube using the gauge and number of stitches I use when I knit socks for myself. The fabric is very dense due to the double strands so I am a bit worried about the saturation of the dye being an issue. I am really going to have to soak this thing in order to get the color all the way through it so some sort of gradating type color pattern may be my best bet. I also don't need another pair of clown socks so I need to start thinking about how to mute the colors. I like dyeing with food colors because frankly I am terrified of the other types but getting "adult" colors out of Kool Aid needs some real color theory expertise. The last time I tried to get soft muted colors I ended up with various shades of very 70's burnt orange. Now if I could only come up with some avocado green it would be a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment